Yarrow Place Services
Yarrow Place Rape and Sexual Assault Service is a service for anyone who has been sexually assaulted. Yarrow Place provides free and confidential services for people aged 16 years and over at the time of the sexual assault.
Yarrow Place is part of the Health and Recovery, Safety Support Service of the Women’s and Children’s Health Network.
We are dedicated to supporting the health and wellbeing of young people, women and men who have health consequences as a result of sexual assault, relationship violence or domestic and family violence.
Our Service acknowledges and seeks to address:
- The impact of violence on people’s health and wellbeing and their quality of life
- The history of injustice towards aboriginal people and ongoing impact on their health and wellbeing.
At Yarrow Place, people who have been sexually assaulted:
- will be listened to
- will be given information about their medical, legal and counselling options in a way that is clear and easy to understand
- have their right to privacy and confidentiality respected – any limitations to this will be discussed.
Our clinical services are for:
- people 16 years and over at the time of the sexual assault
- their significant others (family and friends who want to support them)
- young people 12-25 years under Guardianship (at time of referral) who are absconding from care and/or at risk of sexual exploitation.
- A 24-hour crisis response service for recent rape or sexual assault. This can involve support from a social worker, and medical care by a doctor or nurse:
- crisis counselling
- advocacy (standing up for and supporting what the person wants to have happen)
- helping the person to access supports and safety.
- Medical care for victims of rape and sexual assault can include:
- treatment for minor injuries
- health checks for pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections
- treatment for anxiety, sleeplessness, or other issues arising from the assault.
- Collecting evidence from the body of the person who has been assaulted (forensic medical examinations for people who want to take legal action).
Regional and metropolitan services
- Counselling for people who have been sexually assaulted, either recently or in the past, so long as they were 16 years or older at the time of the assault
- Court preparation and support for people whose cases are going to court
- Information, support and short-term counselling for families and friends of people who have been sexually assaulted, so that they can work through their own issues and provide better support to the person who was assaulted
- Group work and seminar programs
- An Intensive Therapeutic Care Program for Guardianship youth aged 12-25 years, who are at risk of/or are being sexually exploited and/ or have frequent absconding behaviours – clients must be under Guardianship of the Minister at the time of referral
- Training and education programs for workers such as police, lawyers, doctors, nurses, social workers, youth workers and other health workers, and for tertiary students training to work in those areas
- Consultancy and support for other workers – in emergency cases, telephone advice can be provided 24 hours a day.
- Referral to other services as required.
Yarrow Place has country workers based in Whyalla, the Riverland and Mount Gambier, and providing outreach to surrounding areas including Port Augusta and Port Lincoln regions.
There are counsellors based in the Riverland, Mount Gambier, Whyalla and expansion is planned for Port Pirie in early 2024.
Wherever you are across the State, Yarrow Place can offer counselling via telehealth, phone or in some regions, in person.
If you would like to speak with a country worker and access counselling or training in any of these regions, please call our toll free number 1800 817 421 for more details.
- direct medical and counselling services are free
- interpreters and childcare can be arranged
- a referral is not necessary and all services are by appointment
- office hours are Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm
- there is a 24-hour service for recent sexual assault.
Contact Yarrow Place
To access a free and confidential service, please contact us.
Toll-free in SA: 1800 817 421
Fax: (08) 8226 8778
Street address: 64 Pennington Terrace, North Adelaide, South Australia 5006
Postal address: PO Box 620, North Adelaide, South Australia 5006