Ethics Support – Clinical
The WCHN Patient Care Ethics Committee (PCEC) is a clinical ethics committee that is dedicated to providing independent advice to clinicians and clinical teams about ethical issues pertaining to patient care and general matters of ethical concern.
How to access this service
The PCEC provides a supportive environment that facilitates and promotes ethical discussion and resolution of ethical issues with the view to enhancing decision making and promoting robust ethical outcomes for patients and families.
- The WCHN PCEC will provide advice on specific cases or general matters of ethical concern. If you have a specific case or issue you wish the PCEC to discuss you should do so using the PCEC Referral Form.
- In addition to the six scheduled meetings a year, the committee (or part thereof) can meet at short notice in response to urgent cases.
The PCEC is constituted of WCHN staff across a range of medical, nursing/midwifery and allied health areas together with a lay person and patient ethicist.
Dr Tamara Zutlevics holds the position of Patient Ethicist at the WCHN. The role of the Ethicist is to:
- provide advice regarding ethical issues of concern to health professionals on a team or individual basis and to patients/clients of this service
- facilitate education in bioethics at the WCHN
- hold the position of Chair of the WCHN Patient Care Ethics Committee and the Human Research Ethics Committee
For further information on the PCEC, refer to: